Nigerian Army Kills 18 Boko Haram Fighters During a Gun Battle in Yobe State
18 deadly Boko Haram members have been killed in a fatal gun battle with men of the Nigerian army in Yobe state.
About 18 Boko Haram terrorists have been killed by the troops of the Nigerian Army when the insurgents invaded Kumuya village in the Gujba Local Government Area of Yobe State.
The insurgents had invaded the in an attempt to cart away food, but a gun battle subsequently ensued between them and the troops, leading to the death of 18 casualties.
Punch reported that the news was confirmed by a top source at the Defence Headquarters, Abuja, who said a community leader alerted the army when the terrorists swooped on the community.
It is not clear whether the army recorded any casualty during the battle that took place on Friday.
The source said, “There was a call from the community that the terrorists were around the area to unleash mayhem, including ransacking people’s houses for food. The information was so accurate because when the troops got to the location, the Boko Haram members were taken out. Eighteen of them were killed.
“The Boko Haram members are hungry and they are coming to some remote villages to attack residents and to look for food. But this time in Kumuya village, luck ran out on them and they were killed by the troops.”
The Director, Defence Information, Brig.-Gen. Rabe Abubakar, also confirmed the casualties.
He maintained that the Boko Haram sect had been dislodged, but a fraction of it was still desperate to remain relevant.
He said, “The killing of the Boko Haram insurgents in Kumuya is true. We want people to always give the military timely and accurate information so that we can continue to maintain peace and security.
“All efforts are now geared towards reconstruction, resettlement and rehabilitation of the communities displaced by the sect.”